This January we decided that we would – at last – invest in a greenhouse to replace the plastic plant storage affair we had used for many years. [Short of time? Smart suggestion – jump to the end.]
Especially after the wind did this.
We thought we’d finally use the old marble (see post https://greenwritingroom.com/2013/04/19/happy-ending/)
However there were one or two things to clear first.
We started clearing the site and preparing the ground.
Then there was the archaeology. The re-siting of the big slabs that had supported an old oil tank.
A heck of a lot of digging. And levelling. Laying of porous, breathable membrane. And the shovelling of vast quantities of sand. At last some of the marble can go down – using an intricate plan.
We exchange the big water butt for a smaller one and the base makes an appearance. More brickwork required.
The day dawns and help (daughter Amy) has arrived. On Day One we get this far. And on Day Two we finish the task.
On Day Three I planned to sleep, but found myself starting on the excavation of the narrow passageway linking the greenhouse to the back of the house. I must be mad.